Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Trust Me (Hank Phillippi Ryan)

Up until the last 3/4 of Hank Phillippi Ryan's Trust Me, I was going to rate it a very solid 4 out of 5. It kept me turning the pages long into the night, and I really enjoyed Ryan's writing style. Then it promptly took a turn and got very confusing, so while I didn't like the ending, I loved the process of getting there.

Mercer Hennessey is a writer trying to pick up the pieces of her life after a devastating car accident killed her husband and young daughter. She agrees to a book assignment to follow the murder trial of Ashlyn Bryant, accused of killing her daughter and dumping her body in Boston Harbor. Everyone assumes that a guilty verdict is a no-brainer, and Mercer will have a huge bestselling hit on her hands. But as Ryan constantly reminds us throughout Trust Me, the truth isn't always the "truth." It is at this point that the novel becomes repetitive and hard to keep up with all the convoluted twists and turns.

Ryan definitely knows how to create suspense, and she is a supremely talented writer. Trust Me threw me off-balance quite a bit though (and not always in a good way), so that is why I removed a half a star.

MY RATING - 3.5