Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Glimmer Palace (Beatrice Colin)

Ahh, my favorite genre….historical fiction. I read the first page of this book, closed it, and put it away…not interested. However, I HATE giving up a book when I start it, even when I just read the first page. So I decided to give it another try on the plane to Minnesota. I am so glad l did, as it was one of the best books I have read in a long time.

The Glimmer Palace is set in early 20th century Berlin and includes both world wars. Lilly Nelly Aphrodite was born at the turn of the century and promptly, through unforeseen circumstances, becomes an orphan. Lilly’s life is filled with unforgettable characters who consistently show up throughout the book, from the nun who becomes a mother-figure to her tragic friend. I haven’t read a book in so long that has been as character-driven and plot-driven as this one.

Lilly’s life is exciting yet fated from her first breath. I felt sad when this book ended and would recommend it to anyone at anytime.

MY RATING – 5