Monday, May 7, 2018

The Song of Achilles (Madeline Miller)

Up until now, Greek mythology was something I never had one ounce of interest in. I knew Zeus and Achilles were supposed to be big shots, but that was the extent of my knowledge. And then there was all this buzz about Madeline Miller's Circe, so I figured I better read her previous book first. Wow! This author has such a way with storytelling, that it makes me want to learn everything I can about the subject now!

In The Song of Achilles, we see the Trojan War through the eyes of Patroclus, who has been exiled to live with King Peleus and his son Achilles. Achilles soon grows fond of him as a friend, and before long, love blooms between them. But soon comes much strife, as Helen of Sparta has been kidnapped and a war begins to rescue her. Prophecies and tragedies ensue as gods and humans work together or against each other.

Look for a review of Circe here very soon, for if that one is as heart-thumping as this one, I'm in for an exciting read.

MY RATING - 4