Saturday, December 17, 2016

Night Film (Marisha Pessl)

I've been wanting to read Marisha Pessl's Night Film for a really long time, and I finally got to it on my list.  I'm usually reading 3 or 4 books at once, and to Pessl's credit, this was the one that I kept wanting to return to.  It's extremely well written and plays with the reader's mind immensely.  While I don't feel I can give it a 5 rating due to the final chapters (that ending again!), it came pretty darn close.

Ashley Cordova, daughter of legendary reclusive movie director Stanislas Cordova, is found dead.  Journalist Scott McGrath is absolutely driven to find out out what happened to her; in doing so, we're introduced to memorable characters and ingenious plot lines that all help to tell the story.  Pessl also intersperses newspaper articles and shocking photos that are just as important to the novel.

Night Film is a lengthy read and starts to feel that way toward the end.  I had an idea about where this novel was going to go; I'm not saying it was predictable by any stretch, but when my idea didn't happen, I was a little disappointed by the shock-free ending.  However, the journey is what's important here, and Night Film takes you on one heck of a ride.

MY RATING - 4