Friday, June 13, 2014

10% Happier (Dan Harris)



After perusing Dan Harris's 10% Happier (with the subtitle How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works--A True Story) in the bookstore, I knew immediately that I wanted to read more.  Harris, co-anchor of Nightline and the weekend edition of Good Morning America, is best known for having a panic attack on live television in front of millions.  You think YOU have it rough in your cubicle?

After becoming the unlikely religion reporter for Peter Jennings, Harris embarked on interviews with major players in the spiritual realm: Eckhart Tolle, Deepak Chopra, et al.  He found himself being drawn into the world of meditation, and so this is his story of how it made him 10% happier.  From lunches with meditation mentors to going to bare-bones retreats, Harris struggles with quieting his own mind at the beginning, but then realizes that's not the point of meditation by a long shot.

I enjoyed reading 10% Happier and found many insights for my own life; however, I felt it went on a little long and could have cut out a few chapters to be more effective.  However, I admire Harris for putting it all out there for the benefit of many.

MY RATING - 3