Saturday, September 13, 2014

We Were Liars (E. Lockhart)

Word of mouth is a huge way to get people to read your book.  Just take E. Lockhart's We Were Liars for instance.  At my local library, there were over a hundred holds, and even though it's classified as a young adult novel, my guess is that there are many adults engrossed in it.  I began reading it on a plane ride from Philly to Minneapolis, and by the time I landed, I was three quarters of the way through.

If you've heard about We Were Liars, you've probably also heard that you should lie about the ending.  It's difficult to say much about this book without giving anything away.  But in a nutshell, it's narrated by Cadence, the oldest grandchild in a family who owns their own island for goodness sake.  Each summer, the family returns to this island; however, Cadence's fifteenth summer there is a complete blur.  She doesn't remember most of it, except that she was found on the beach with a head injury.  How she got there is the gist of We Were Liars.

There is one clue throughout the novel that gave me the slightest inkling of how the book would end.  If it wasn't there, I would have been completely surprised.  It's still a jaw-dropper though, and I highly recommend this novel for both young adults and adults alike.

MY RATING - 4