Friday, August 27, 2021

The Lies That Bind (Emily Giffin)

I've read and enjoyed quite a few books by Emily Giffin and even reviewed First Comes Love on this blog way back in 2016. I don't know what happened with The Lies That Bind though -- there was a lot I didn't enjoy about this one.

In a bar late one night, Cecily Gardner is trying to stop herself from calling her ex-boyfriend, Matthew. She hears someone implore her not to do it -- that person turns out to be Grant, a guy she forms an instant connection with and quickly falls in love with. The problem is that Grant is about to move overseas.

If the book stopped there, it might have been OK. But then 9/11 in New York City is brought into the mix in a ridiculous, borderline offensive way. Cecily spots Grant's face on a "missing" poster, meaning that someone else is looking for him. She soon discovers that Grant is not the person she thought he was. 

The one question I had as I was reading this was "Why?". I'm not sure what the point of this book was, and I kept asking myself why I was reading it. The characters were not very interesting and some of them were hideous human beings. Hopefully Giffin's next book will be better than this.

MY RATING - 1.5