Thursday, April 13, 2017

Someday, Someday, Maybe (Lauren Graham)

"You have to watch Gilmore Girls!  What are you waiting for???"  After hearing this for the umpteenth time, I decided to catch the first episode on Netflix.  Six hours later, I realized I was still watching it.  I have since finished the series and loved every minute of it.  Even though the show is called "girls" plural, to me, it centers around Lorelei, which is why I was excited to find out that Lauren Graham, the actress who plays her, wrote Someday, Someday, Maybe.  Watch for my upcoming review of her book of essays, Talking as Fast as I Can.

Franny Banks is a New York City actress trying to make it in the big time.  When she first moved there, she gave herself a strict deadline: if she didn't have success by a certain date, she would go back home.  Time is running out, and even though she is getting a few minor jobs, she still hasn't broken out.  She lives with two roommates, Jane and Dan, and seriously struggles to make ends meet in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

Someday, Someday, Maybe is often laugh-out-loud funny, and Franny is certainly a character that most people will find themselves rooting for.  Even though most of us don't know what it's like to be grasping at straws trying to make it as a working actor in New York City, we do understand what it's like to be a twentysomething (or older) attempting
to get all aspects of our lives straight. Because of this, Graham's novel is really quite relatable.

Celebrities writing fiction (or anything really) is sometimes not a good thing.  I'm happy to say that this isn't the case with Someday, Someday, Maybe.  Even though it's an average read, I found most of it enjoyable, so I'm going to give it a solid 3.5 rating.

MY RATING - 3.5