Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Food You Crave:Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life (Ellie Krieger)


I decided to expand my repertoire a little when it comes to reviewing and every now and then, review another passion of mine...great cookbooks. For someone who used to mistakenly put cabbage, instead of lettuce, on her nephew's sandwich, and stuck a whole can of tomato soup in the microwave without water, something finally clicked when I moved to Philadelphia. No longer does my poor husband get a 3-course meal of meat, potato, and vegetable served 15 minutes apart. Now I pride myself on being able to put a delicious, healthy meal on the table in less than 30 minutes.


Ellie Krieger's "The Food You Crave:Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life" is by far, my favorite cookbook. Ellie is a Food Network personality, but first and foremost, a nutritionist. She believes that food can be healthy and full of flavor if you just make some minor adjustments. Shop the perimeter of your grocery store, and revel in all of the delicious fruits, vegetables, herbs, meats, seafood, and dairy. Who wants to eat the "chemistry experiments" in the middle of the store? If you can't pronounce it, don't put it in your body.


My favorite recipes include Apple-Pecan Muffins (with applesauce substituting for butter), Scrumptious Scramble, Blueberry Blast Smoothie (which my husband asks for all the time), the Roasted Red Pepper and Walnut Dip (which I use with chicken), Lemon Pepper Grilled Shrimp, Spaghetti with Turkey Meatballs in Spicy Tomato Sauce, and Vanilla Hot Cocoa (once you taste this, your days of drinking the powdery stuff will be over).


Many recipes include a picture for easy following. Here's to your health. You will not be disappointed.


MY RATING - 5


Currently reading..."The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane" (Katherine Howe)