Friday, August 6, 2021

Malibu Rising (Taylor Jenkins Reid)

I've only read one other book by Taylor Jenkins Reid -- Forever Interrupted, which I enjoyed. I decided to pick up her latest, Malibu Rising, thinking it would be a great summer read. But I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

In 1983, Nina Riva is preparing to hold her annual summer party at her huge Malibu home. Nina, along with her siblings Jay, Hud, and Kit, are the children of megastar singer Mick Riva, who has long since disappeared from their lives. Nina does not want the life she is currently living and has always put her own dreams on hold to take care of her brothers and sister. 

Malibu Rising goes back and forth in time, from when Mick met their mother June, to the night of Nina's party. I did care about many of the characters, but they kept dropping secrets and so many of the secrets were implausible. This book was too much of a soap opera for me.

MY RATING - 2.5