Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs? (Caitlin Doughty)

It wasn't planned to be Caitlin Doughty week on 1776 Books, but somehow it's turned out to be just that. On Sunday, I reviewed her earlier book, From Here to Eternity, and today, I'll talk about her very latest, Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs?

What's great about Doughty is that she has the utmost respect for death but writes about it in such a warm, relatable way. As a mortician, her goal has always been to get families and friends involved in the funeral process instead of just handing their loved one off to a funeral director. In Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs?, Doughty again tries to take the "scary" out of death, answering kids' questions about the topic in an honest way.

But don't let the fact that kids are asking the questions deter you -- this is a super interesting book for adults. If you've ever wondered if conjoined twins always die at the same time or if you died making a silly face, would it stay like that forever, this book is for you. I found Doughty's writing absolutely fascinating, especially when combined with Dianne Ruz's black-and-white illustrations. I can't recommend this book enough!

MY RATING - 5