Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Red Queen (Victoria Aveyard)

In May 2018, Victoria Aveyard concluded her Red Queen series with the publication of War Storm. I don't usually read the young adult genre, but I kept hearing about this series so I took Book #1 (Red Queen) on vacation. I definitely had mixed feelings about it; however, I seem to be in the minority here because of its plethora of young (and older) fans.

Main character Mare Barrow lives in a nightmare world. She is a Red (due to the color of her blood), living in the poverty-stricken Stilts with her family. The Reds are ruled by the Silvers, who each have superpowers such as reading minds and creating fire. One day, Mare is called to the Silver Palace and discovers that she has a superpower of her own. This fact causes much chaos, many secrets, and ultimately, dark tragedy as she enters the world of the Silver Royals.

At times, Red Queen is a real page-turner and had me completely enthralled. But there were quite a few parts that I felt went on endlessly. The writing is very well done, so I will certainly give this book a higher rating on my scale. However, I didn't quite care enough about the characters to continue on with the series.

MY RATING - 3.5