Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Eat It To Beat It (David Zinczenko)



What I love most about David Zinczenko is that he never minces words; he has no qualms about saying that most of the food we put in our bodies is filled with stuff we should back far, far away from. He has no problem calling out specific food and restaurant companies for adding "anal scent glands of beavers" to our food, and some of the things he writes will probably make you lose your lunch. However, I'm the type of person who needs tough love when it comes to diet and exercise (I need Jillian Michaels yelling at me rather than Denise Austin's encouragement), so Zinczenko has always been right up my alley. I say always because I've been reading his Eat This Not That and Cook This Not That series of books for years now. I always look anxiously ahead to January so I can get my hands on the new updated version. I was a little surprised to see that he changed things up a bit this year with Eat It To Beat It. However, the message is always the same...eating healthfully never has to be dull.

Eat It To Beat It looks very similar to Zinczenko's other books; they are all filled with colorful pictures and easy-to-read information. The only real difference I can tell is that he seems to focus more on what you should eat to fight disease; however, his other information pretty much remains the same. When you're reaching for juice at the supermarket, which one should you grab? Which produce should you choose the organic variety? Eat It To Beat It is definitely not as extensively packed as his other books, but it's still a worthwhile read.

The Eat This Not That books are popular for a reason, and I've used the information within them to make the right choices at the grocery store and in a restaurant. I've made many recipes in Cook This Not That, and I can tell you that they are delicious and definitely not "diet food." Zinczenko understands that diets don't work for the long haul; make little changes in your everyday eating habits and you'll soon be reaping the rewards.

MY RATING - 4