Monday, October 28, 2019

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes (Caitlin Doughty)

In the past few months, I've been on quite the Caitlin Doughty kick. I recently reviewed her books Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs? and From Here to Eternity and also went to hear her speak at the Mutter Museum in Philadelphia. In Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, she describes her experience working at a crematory; this, along with her time at mortuary school, gives her a very clear idea of what to do (and what not to do) to help families when they lose a loved one.

This is a fascinating book, filled with unforgettable and strange stories. From picking up the newly deceased to getting ashes on her clothes, Caitlin brings a sense of humor to the proceedings but never crosses the line into being disrespectful. What I've always loved about Caitlin is that she takes the "scary" out of death in such a matter-of-fact way and answers questions you've always wondered but have been too afraid to ask.

All of Caitlin's books (and her You Tube videos) are designed to help you face death head-on and take some of the fear out of it. I recommend any one of them wholeheartedly.

MY RATING - 4